Sunday, June 12, 2016

Getting You're Children To Help In The Home


Do your children have a List of responsibilities in your home? I have tried all sorts of ways to get my children to help out with household chores. However, I wish I would of let them do more at a younger age.

 So what if the towels aren't folded correctly, floors aren't spotless, or more of a mess is created while your little one helps you prepare dinner. These types of things, used to drive me crazy! So I made the choice to do it all. Looking back, I wasn't doing myself or my children any favors.

 When my older children reached a certain age they had a list of chores that I was very selective about. They did them them quite well and everyone was Happy!

 It wasn't until I had my youngest daughter, that my perspective started to change. She is my little Homemaker. She loves to clean, cook, and even do her own laundry.  She always wants to help me around the house. This started at a very young age. As overwhelmed as I was, I decided to let her help! Let me tell you friends, It's one of the best decisions I have ever made! I honestly should of encouraged my older children to do more at a young age, even if it made me uneasy. It has made a Big difference!

At the age of 10 years old, she can do laundry, cook small meals, and pretty much do all household chores. It may not be done the way I like, and sometimes the kitchen gets turned upside down, but it gets done and she is learning along the way! I have come a long way in being alright with Good Enough Chores...

 Mama, I want to encourage you to let your little one's help around your home. 

  Here are some ideas:

3 - 5 Years Old:

Dusting
Sweeping
Put Laundry Away
Set The Table For Meals
Clean Room
Feed Pets


6 - 7 Years Old:

All The Above
Take Garbage Out
Vacuum
Clean Bathrooms
Help Prepare Dinner
Fold Clothes

8 - 9 Years Old:

All The Above
Do Laundry
Cook Small Meals (with assistance)
Mop Floors
Bathe Pets


These are just some ideas to get your children involved. I encourage you to let your children help, no matter how old they they may be!






7 comments:

  1. Very practical and applicable. Thanks for the age appropriate list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 6 year old still finds vacuuming hard, but she is working on it. We've been having her help around the house for years. She is to make her bed, take care of the pets, pick up her toys, set the table, etc. I think our list is pretty similar to yours. I want her to take more responsibility in how our house looks and organizing her little girl things that are increasingly small pieces to big sets and taking over our house. My house is decorated in Early Elementary, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome! Keep up the good training mama..

      Delete
  3. I have a friend that has 7 kids and they all help around the house, even her youngest, who is about 3 years old. She's taught them to do things at a young age and they more or less can run the house and help take care of each other. I'm hoping to be able to do the same with my son as he gets older. Right now he's 19 months, but we show him how he can pick up his toys and put them away, and even though sometimes he ends up pulling them right back out, it's still a start! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mother of seven who are mostly grown I have to concur with getting your children involved in helping out when they are young. This helps to avoid raising kids who feel put upon when asked to participate in household chores. As a result, my children all exhibit a strong work ethic and no signs of entitlement. This has helped them in college, their careers, and in their own family's. And honestly, even the children who struggled the most with having to do chores have thanked us later for their early training!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...